Post-1970’s
The estate was completed in 1975 under the head of the Lambeth Borough Architects Department, Ted Hollamby.
It is home to 236 dwellings arranged around a central green. Rows of modest three-storey houses with asymmetrical pitched roofs and front and back gardens are set in staggered rows parallel to the road with pathways running in between. The site is bookended on either side by long blocks of raised access maisonettes and flats.
Cars are parked in secure carparks at the edges of the site keeping the vast majority of the estate free from vehicles.
There is an active and social community here who continue to look out for one other’s well-being to ensure this stays a safe and wonderful place to live.
Take a look at these interesting drawings from the original planning application for the estate.







1800’s
Before it became the housing estate as we know it today, the area was formerly known as Lambeth Schools and built in 1886 as a boarding school for poor children, these buildings later became a GLC children’s home and school. The schools originated in 1809 when Lambeth Parish began to acquire land in Elder Road and in the following year work started on the buildings for the Lambeth House of Industry for Infant Poor. These housed poor children under the workhouse system. Most of the buildings were demolished during the 1970s to make way the Woodvale Estate .Photograph by M.D.Trace, dated 2nd October 1967.


Pre-1800’s
The Woodvale Estate is in West Norwood. The name Norwood derives from the North Wood which formerly covered the hilly country of north Croydon and the southern parts of Lambeth.




















